02 Jul Scoliosis Facts
- Scoliosis is the leading orthopedic problem seen in school age children.
- 5-10 % of the population has scoliosis and some researchers think it might be up to 30% of the population may have it but do not know it.
- Scoliosis affects millions of children every year around the world. For reasons unknown, females are 8 times more likely; Most cases develop b/w the ages of 8-14
- Scoliosis is a disease of the neuromuscular system. Scoliosis is a curve or bend in the spine defined by a Cobb angle measurement of 10 degrees or higher. The Cobb angle is the measurement of how much bend or radiographic lateral flexion is present in the spine when looking at it from the front view on x-ray. It is measured in degrees. Most cases have 2 or more curves located in the neck, mid back, and low back. Scoliosis is a 3 dimensional problem. It has three components compression coupled with translation, lateral flexion and rotation
- Most Common Scoliosis Postural Patterns are forward head posture, right head tilt, right high shoulder, right forward hip, right foot forward. Any abnormal postures from the front view such as a low shoulder, unleveling of hips, uneven gap or opening between hips and the arms and forward head posture from the side view are signs of possible scoliosis.
- Scoliosis progression most commonly occurs during puberty and menopause indicating a hormonal influence on curve progression. It’s been known since 1969 that scoliosis progresses after skeletal maturity!!!!
- Current Treatment Model – does NOT rehabilitate the neuromuscular system!!!!
- Observation 10-25 degrees (Why wait for it to get worse? All large curves start out small!!!)
x-ray every 6 months to monitor/watch it get worse
- Bracing 25 degrees (Studies show the brace does not stop the progression or prevent surgeries)
Once the scoliosis begins to progress or get out of hand the hope is the brace is going to stop the progression. The goal of the brace is to stop progress not reduce or correct the scoliosis.
- Surgery 40 degrees (Scoliosis will bend/break the rods and studies show 40% become disabled )
Metal rods implanted along the side of the spine to reduce the scoliosis.
8) Scoliosis can improve with our scoliosis treatment system without bracing or surgery. We have treated patients domestically and internationally with great success using our unique structural correction chiropractic treatment system.
It is the goal of Sunset Chiropractic & Wellness to effectively treat the condition of scoliosis without the use of bracing or by performing surgery.
We have to find a better way to treat Scoliosis !!!!!!!!
If you would like more helpful information about our Scoliosis Treatment please visit our website at sunsetchiropractic.com or call our office at (305) 275-7474 to schedule a complimentary consultation. You can overcome Scoliosis! We can help!
Please let us know if you need any additional information. See you soon!
Dr. Rodolfo Alfonso, D.C.
8585 Sunset Dr. STE 104
Miami, Florida 33143